INFORMATIONAL MEETING FOR NEW POTENTIAL TUTORS
Tuesday, August 8th, 2023 1:30-2:30 pm
PLEASE RSVP: Click HERE or go to https://forms.gle/37pKk4GoDH8cXUGn8
Join Zoom Meeting ID: 825 5726 7993 Passcode: 272108
Contact Dr. Carrie Streiff-Stuessy, Executive Director, with questions at email@example.com
Why Volunteer with Forward Scholars?
- Make an impact. We are using a well-researched model that has proven successful in other large urban school districts and which produced incredible results last school year.
- You will be well-supported with training, individualized lesson plans and materials for every session, and a FS site coordinator (with early literacy expertise) present for every session to coach and support you and your student.
- Our students need you. Pandemic-induced learning loss and isolation has increased the need for 1:1
intervention. The ability to read by the end of third grade is critical to a child’s success in school and life.
What You Need to Know About Our Tutoring Program
● Uses research-based interventions to accelerate student growth in reading and a “growth mindset” approach to increase student self-efficacy
● Targets K – 3rd graders who are not yet meeting grade level expectations in reading and have good attendance
● Is an intergenerational approach which recognizes that many students benefit from one-on-one attention and learn best in the context of a relationship with a caring adult
● Tutoring takes place during the school day at the school in a “learning lab,” which is staffed by a Forward Scholars Site Coordinator (a highly-qualified literacy specialist)
● FS Site Coordinator will provide an individualized lesson plan and materials for each tutor-student pair for each session
● Tutors will receive training as well as ongoing support and coaching. Prior teaching or tutoring experience is helpful but NOT necessary.
● Tutoring will be twice a week for an hour each time (45 min tutoring + 15 min prep & notes) from
mid-September through late May.
● There will be substitute tutors for pre-planned times when tutors are traveling/unavailable